Record Store Day has been celebrated across the globe since 2007.
It’s a day of recognition for record stores and the people who make these stores special – from the staff and the customers, to the artists. According to Australia’s Record Store Day Ambassador (and our Creative Industries Management Program Leader) Tim Dalton, “It’s really important to be involved in Record Store Day as its a use it or loose it deal with high street record stores. With only around 500 store fronts left in Australia, they will disappear unless they are supported. The good news is there will be lots of exciting events on 19th April including gigs in or around record stores, special bargains on limited editions, coloured vinyl and one offs.”
With so much going on, we thought we’d take the hard work out of it so you don’t miss a thing! Check out the below for a list of the exclusive music releases that we’re getting excited about:
- REM will release rare recordings of their 1991 MTV Unplugged performances. These are being released fro the very first time as a four-LP set and will include recordings of 11 songs that were never aired.
- Green Day will release a special edition 12″ featuring 18 unreleased demo recordings from the Green Day ¡Uno!, Green Day ¡Dos! and Green Day ¡Tré! sessions at Jingletown Studios in Oakland. This special edition compilation can be purchased on red or clear vinyl, or as CD or cassette.
- The Cure/Dinosaur Jr – Warner Brothers’ ‘Side by Side’ series features an original song on the A-side of a vinyl, with the cover version on the B-side. One of these will feature The Cure’s “Just Like Heaven”. The 7″ single will be on white vinyl.
- Devo/The Flaming Lips is another of the ‘Side by Side’ series. Devo’s Gates Of Steel from the original DEV-O Live EP is covered by The Flaming Lips (this is a previously unreleased cover) and is pressed onto silver vinyl.
- Tame Impala will release a 9-track live recording from a 2013 show in Chicago titled Live Versions. The limited edition vinyl will be available at participating record stores across the world. A preview of the live EP is available on Tame Impala’s SoundCloud here.
- Jake Bugg will release ‘Live At Silver Platters, Seattle’, a four-track EP recorded at Bugg’s 2014 Seattle show. Bugg performs acoustic versions of tracks from his debut album and follow-up album Shangri La.
- LCD Soundsystem offer a vinyl release titled The Long Goodbye. The release is mastered and mixed by James Murphy, and incorporates 5 LPs. The boxset features live music from the band’s Madison Square Gardens show in 2011.
- Joy Division will release a 12” of their 1978 debut EP An Ideal for Living. The release has been remastered by the band’s longtime sound engineer, Frank Arkwright and features new album artwork. The record will be available at select retailers during the day.
- Nirvana will release a 7″ of Pennyroyal Tea/I Hate Myself and Want To Die there will be 6000 copies available at selected retailers so get in quick!
- David Bowie is said to be releasing two limited-edition releases – a 7” picture disc of his classic Rock n’ Roll Suicide for the UK event, and a 7″ picture disc of single 1984.
If you’re getting excited about these releases, some of them will be available for purchase at the venues below. These venues will also be hosting a range of events, from live music to free tattoos.
- Dan Sultan, live at Readings, 112 Acland St, St Kilda
Not only is he a ARIA-award-winning musician, but Dan Sultan is also one of Australia’s Record Store Day ambassadors. He will be playing songs from his latest album, Blackbird, at 2pm at the St Kilda Readings store. Entry is free.
- Northside Records, 236 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
Northside Records will be hosting a party, featuring live performances by Oscar Key Sung (2pm) and N’Fa Jones and crew + special guest Remi (3pm). Miss Goldie and Lance Ferguson will be providing tunes between bands and throughout the afternoon. There will also be giveaways from Cake Wines and loads more surprises on the day.
- Eureka Rebellion, 454 Smith St, Collingwood
If you’re living the metal lifestyle, then Eureka Rebelling Trading is the place to be! They are hosting an all-day-long party, with special releases available to purchase, sales on current vinyl stock AND $50 tattoos!
- TITLE Bookstore, 183 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
Live music will be taking place at the Gertrude St location, including Wonder Boy (3.30pm), Empat Lima (4.30pm) and Chook Race (5.30pm). Plus there will be limiteds, new releases and reissues on vinyl.
- Obese Records, 4A Izett St, Prahran
Local DJs and producers, Sheriff Rosco, Dyl Thomas, Alter Ego and Slap 618 will be pinning hip hop, funk and soul. There will be limited edition RSD releases from local labels.
- Geoff Achinson live at Quality Records, Glenferrie Rd, Malvern
Blues guitar legend, Geoff Achison, will be performing at Quality Records, between his current tour of Australia, Europe and the US.
- Polyester Records, 387 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
Polyester Records will be celebrating at their Brunswick St store with DJs: Harmony, The Stevens, Aarght Records, NUN, Kangaroo Skull & Wooshie + a whole bunch of official Record Store Day releases. They will also be hosting an official Record Store Day Gig alongside Bedroom Suck Records on the Evelyn Rooftop from 2pm and will feature Ela Stiles, Tim Richmond, Full Ugly & Clag.
Live outside Victoria? Then check out this Australia-wide map of locations, where you can find Record Store Day participants.